Sunday, November 15, 2015

Diatomic Elements

A small trick that many forget during this unit is diatomic elements. There are 7 of these that when they stand alone, their mass from the periodic table must be doubled. When they are a part of a compound, their mass from the table stays the same, though. This was one of the questions I missed on the quiz that I need to pay attention to on the unit test tomorrow.

Here is a link that explains it. In class, we learned the trick "HOFBrINCl" to remember the seven elements. This link says to think of "Have No Fear Of Ice Cold Beer", a less appropriate, but a more funny way to remember that may stick in brains better :)
http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/f/What-Are-The-Seven-Diatomic-Elements.htm

5 comments:

  1. I like your post Avery! You did a good job of explaining diatomic elements, as well as, showing an easy way to remember them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post Avery! You did a good job of explaining diatomic elements, as well as, showing an easy way to remember them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post Avery! I also missed this question on the quiz, and it was something I stressed while studying and I think many students forget small details such as this. You did a great job explaining the diatomic elements and when to use them. Your link was also very helpful in remembering them! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this question on the quiz also, and wish I had seen this post and studied your links before the test. Thanks for the funny slogan to help me remember the diatomic elements!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Avery, for clarifying diatomic elements and explaining when diatomic elements are used. I loved how you found another way to remember the 7 diatomic elements, because HOFBRINCLE was too complex and not clear. The link you provided was also a valuable asset to me!

    ReplyDelete