Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Oxidation Rules

  1. pure elements (stand alone elements) have an oxidation number of zero
  2. for monoatomic ions (metal elements), the oxidation number is equal to its charge
  3. fluorine alway has an oxidation number of -1 when in compounds
  4. Cl, Br, and I always have an oxidation number of -1 in compounds, except when combined with oxygen or fluorine
  5. the oxidation number of H is +1 and of O is -2 in most compounds.
    • exceptions for H: in compounds with metals, H is -1
    • exceptions for O: in peroxides, the charge is -1
  6. the algebraic sum of the oxidation number for the atoms in a neutral compound must be zero; in a polyatomic ion, the sum must be equal to the charge of the ion
Here are a couple references that help explain:

elementusual oxidation stateexceptions
Group 1 metalsalways +1
Group 2 metalsalways +2
Oxygenusually -2except in peroxides and F2O (see below)
Hydrogenusually +1except in metal hydrides where it is -1 (see below)
Fluorinealways -1
Chlorineusually -1except in compounds with O or F (see below)

4 comments:

  1. Avery, thanks for sharing! I like the table you added showing the oxidation rules and their exceptions, I found it to be extremely helpful in helping me to remember them. I also thought your link was very helpful in explaining the oxidation rules further. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was absent for this lecture so thank you for putting this content on your blog! The charts were really helpful in explaining the oxidation rules and I appreciate the additional references you put. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chart that you posted really simplifies the rules of oxidation. I now understand that the oxidation numbers are to be used to see which element of the equation is oxidized and which is reduced. I am sure this blog post to you a long time to type but it really did a great job simplifying the oxidation rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the picture, it is really clear cut and defines everything in a well organized and simplified version. This is a great help. I just wish I saw this before the big test.

    ReplyDelete